RE: QUERY: What Are The Practical Benefits of Joining An "S.E.A.xx."?

Bill,
This was beautifully stated. While it is true that I spoke from a logistics
point of view to make my point to the many who are physically unable to
participate, I am (and Shafat knows this of me) very much as you have
described yourself - more comfortable in my own environment and much less at
ease in the company of others.
It took a lot from one particular engineer in 1987 who dragged me to a
Hazardous Building committee meeting simply because I did not then and still
do not leave the home/office unless it is for a project or a family affair.
The discomfort level is so intense that I will be physically ill until I am
underway and out.
This "virtual" persona as it is described, allows me to voice my strong
convictions and opinions with stuttering, stammering, or searching endlessly
for the correct word choice.
I can't support my feelings, but I believe strongly that the majority of
engineers - even those who belong to SEA would rather hid behind a mask than
be seen publicly.
However, I don't agree with you about how well you know the other person.
Many of us open ourselves to relating more personal information than we
would at the first contact or social event. In fact, I would say that
although you are not prepared to associate the person to the perception, you
actually know that person better than you would if you spent years on a
committee with them. The problem is finding a comfort level between what we
have learned and the intimidation that presents itself when faced with the
flesh and blood representation of the traits that we feel most comfortable
with.
This is the learning process of how to use the virtual world. Unless we have
created a false personality to deceive the public (or profession) then what
we learn of each other on this list is more to the sole of the real
individual than we might ever discover in professional hand slapping or
social contact.
You need to trust your instincts. When I finally put a face to a List
member, it is no longer as much as surprise as it was the first time. I have
learned to trust the information that I have learned from the time we have
spent discussing issues and personal subjects.

I think you made the point perfectly, and I think you need to know that you
are not as out of touch as you think you are. You have also proven the
points I have made very well by showing the usefulness of the Virtual tools
to draw those out of their shell who might otherwise isolate themselves from
their professional peers. This is the least painful way to make the
transition and supports the need for adapting to useful tools such as we
presently have.

Dennis