Re: Wood shear wall values still reduced to 0.75 of UBC table values?

I use the full UBC values unless dictated otherwise by the local building department, (i.e. L.A. City and Ventura County are 2 jurisdictions requiring 75% of code values).

Larry Hauer, S.E.
----- Original Message -----
From: Mattesons
To: seaint
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 8:46 PM
Subject: Wood shear wall values still reduced to 0.75 of UBC table values?

The city of L.A.'s post-Northridge emergency code provisions included a reduction of design values for wood panel shear walls to 0.75 of the values listed in the UBC.   Just after that, I moved out of Zone 4.  Word was that the '97 UBC was going to incorporate such a reduction into the tables, but my Code and the addenda that I have received do not show this...   Now work from Zone 4 is coming to me, and I want to make sure that I'm not missing this somewhere.  (Actually, I incorporated the reduction into my shear wall schedule, and wonder if I'm being WAY CONSERVATIVE--like all the contractors say--and could go back to the full UBC values.)

Do you Zone 4 residents use the full values from UBC table 23-II-I-1?  Seems plausible, considering V went from 0.14W to 0.22W using the "simplified static" method....

Thanks,

Thor