Re: EQ forces- Retaining Wall

Sid, a non building structure is well defined in UBC-97 and retaining walls designed to resist seismic forces are usually designed to resist pseudo  lateral  seismic forces given by Monokabe-Okabe equations. Unless I am not clear of your question, I think this should be helpful to you. Look at it this way, a building kind of structure is a very highly investigated kind and seismic design parameters like R is well established for this kind of structures. In addition depending on a zone, such structures may be detailed to be ductile enough mainly for reasons of safety required for residents. Approach to retaining walls is a bit different definitely. Hope this helps

  "Lakhani, Sid" <slakhani(--nospam--at)ebmud.com> wrote:
the body of the message type
* "join seaint" (no quotes). To Unsubscribe, send email
* to admin(--nospam--at)seaint.org and in the body of the message
* type "leave seaint" (no quotes). For questions, send
* email to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* site at: http://www.seaint.org

Do You Yahoo!?