RE: QUERY: What Are The Practical Benefits of Joining An "S.E.A.xx."?

Scott
I don't think I was indicating any more than the unification of all SEA
state chapters through one national organization - NCSEA. SEAOC is the state
representation of the four local chapters and as such, it is the
representative branch that has joined other state chapters in the creation
of the NCSEA.

It seems only logical to me that there is a movement with the intent to
unify all SEA chapter under one roof. I don't see how this would be possible
without a commonality of rules, regulations and ultimately a sharing of
resources. Just in the last couple of months, the discussions have focused
both here and in the articles in Structural Engineer Magazine about a
concerted effort to standardize testing and state licensing requirements,
the individual regional codes will be replaced by the IBC. Certainly, the
state chapters strongest in code creation are taking the lead - SEAOC, from
my perspective, has a strong interest in leading the way.

I don't see the advantage of a national representation of SEA with
conflicting structure, rules and bylaws. NCSEA (and maybe Scott Melnick who
may be scanning this list can answer some of this as editor of the NCSEA
Journal) is only a few years old and is evolving into a strong political
presence representing the structural engineering community. I don't think I
would ignore the direction or implication of its growth.

Please don't misunderstand, I am not suggesting that this is a bad thing,
only that it may ultimately remove the independence of each state chapter to
bring about change in the global unification of codes and practices. The
most important issue, that I attempted to address in my last post, is that
there has been a historic struggle of representation philosophy within the
California chapters. Is the primary responsibility of SEA to represent or
lead the membership. Leading suggests the creation of rules, regulations,
educational requirements, codes and practice by a willing participants
rather, i.e., board members and committees. Conversely, is it the
responsibility of the organization to be receptive to the needs of
practicing professionals first? Southern California has historically
followed the later standard of practice while the other three chapters in
the state have chosen to dictate the practices of engineering. It's no
surprise to those on the list that I am a strong advocate of representing
the members first.

These should be important concerns of SEA members. As a practicing
professional, I want to feel in control of my profession. I want to believe
that if there is sufficient professional agreement within the membership to
suggest dissatisfaction with work of a committee that the committee should
be obligated to defend their position or yield to the needs of the
community. Unfortunately, this has not been the case and as such has led to
my resignation. To give you an example, consider the work done by Gary
Searer, PE on the problems associated with the use of Rho (the redundancy
factor) in the code. Gary did a significant amount of work to prove his
point. I believe that the majority of engineers who reviewed the documents
would agree that Searer presents a valid and serious problem with the
methodology. In my opinion, the SEAOC Seismology Committee should have
intervened and changed their position to reflect the work done by Searer.
The position was decided to ignore the issue because it yields conservative
results and creates too many problems to change because of time constraints
on new code issues and the end of the UBC cycle. In the end, the financial
burden for this mistake is placed on every new home designed under the
full-compliance provisions of the code. To be fair, there are proponents of
Rho as a factor as a means to prevent engineers from underdesigning
structures. My argument is that I am a qualified practitioner and the
decision as to what level of compliance is to be designed is best left to my
judgment rather than forced upon me. This is an example of being led rather
being represented.

While the chapters of SEA are still virtually independent, I would not
neglect the movement to unify them into one organization and to adjust the
bylaws and practices to be unified as well. At the very least, keep your
attention on these issues and respond before the snowball has gained more
momentum than is available to reverse the path.

Sorry to be so verbose, but I believe these are important issues and with to
emphasize that I am a supporter of an SEA that represents its members.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE