From: Mark D. Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2001 11:20 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: existing soft story

Greetings,

Does anyone know the COLA's current policy with regard to existing open-soft story construction. Particularily, cantilevered columns at carport area supporting upper levels of apartment buildings.

I have a client who owns such a building and he is asking if the COLA has mandated a retrofit for this type of structure.

I do have the 1994 Northridge Earthquake Joint Task Force document on Wood Frame Construction which deals with this issue.

Regards,

Mark