RE: existing soft story

Mark & Dennis,
I was just authoring a similar response as I worked on some of those
retrofits.  I also recall in the City of Santa Monica that these buildings
were identified and the owners were notified promptly after the Northridge
Earthquake.
Opinion: If an ordinance was issued and your client was the owner of the
building at the time, he should have been notified.  If an ordinance was
issued and your client was not the owner, the seller (previous owner) should
have been notified and should have disclosed this at the time of the sale.
I moved from Santa Monica in 1997.

Sharon Robertson Bonds, PE
Salerno/Livingston Architects
363 Fifth Avenue, Third Floor