Width/Thickness Ratios[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Width/Thickness Ratios
- From: "Dan Goodrich" <dang(--nospam--at)karren.com>
- Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:47:38 -0700
UBC 2211.8.4.b requires that beams and columns in special moment
frames have a b/t ratio less than 52/sqrt(fy). I have a beam that was
designed with A36 steel which meets this requirement. The supplier
substituted A572 steel which does not meet the requirement.
What's the background on this requirement?
If the frame is significantly stronger than strength levels require because
of drift limitations, would it be okay to not meet the requirement?
b/t = 8.1
52/sqrt(fy) = 7.35
Dan Goodrich, P.E.
- Prev by Subject: Wide Flange Beam Analysis Spreadsheet Freeware
- Next by Subject: Re: Width/Thickness Ratios
- Previous by thread: Re: Virus from rauf akbaba; email: rakbaba(--nospam--at)atakltd.com.tr
- Next by thread: Re: Width/Thickness Ratios