RE: Pressure grouting

pressure grouting can lead to heave problems which can affect adjacent property or utilities.  For instance, some forms of micro pile inject grout into the surrounding soil matrix as they are placed.  The grout has to go somewhere and one effect is heave.  The extent problem depends on the soil type. Sand is more able to absorb the grout than clay.

Nick Blackburn, PE

 -----Original Message-----
From: Williston L. Warren, IV - S.E. [mailto:Bill_Warren(--nospam--at)sesol.com]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2001 10:33 AM
To: Listserver SEAINT
Subject: Pressure grouting

Paul,

Be real careful with pressure grouting as a foundation support.  If the soils are not sandy, but are clayey or there are slopes nearby, I have clients sign a letter that I prepare that says that I do not recommend pressure grouting and if anything bad happens if they do, they will defend me in court.

Pressure grouting is a indirect method of treating soils, if it is just a consolidation problem maybe it could be OK if it is sandy soil without nearby slopes.  Remember once you pump the grout in, you have no control where it goes.

I have a few really bad horror stories, but in the flat lands with sandy soils, I have seen it work OK.

Williston "Bill" L. Warren, IV - S.E.
Structural Engineering SOLutions
Newport Beach, California

12                               Message:0012                           12