EOR(Kansas City Hyatt Walkway Failure)

Apropos of this discussion I recently read the following on another
(Engineering Tips) ListServe.

"However, over the last 10 years or so, the nature of liability cases in the
U.S. has directed the "blame" back at the EOR as the ultimate
source of responsibility for the entire structure. This was especially hit
hard on me when I sat at a structural conference and listened to the
experiences of Jack Gillum who was the EOR of the Hyatt-Regency in Kansas
City. The walkway that collapsed did so through a comedy of errors and
oversights. He was depending upon a fabricator to design a connection. It
didn't happen. What did happen was:

1. His draftsman failed to place the required load on the detail.

2. The fabricator began the connection design, but, getting a bigger
project, farmed the Hyatt out to another fabricator.

3. Fabricator No. 2 "thought" that the partially detailed
connection was designed and simply completed the detail.

4. Gillum's firm quickly reviewed the shop drawings, thinking that the
connection, as detailed, was designed.

5. The connection was built and one year later collapsed, killing 114.

This drives home the thought that if we depend upon a fabricator to design
"our" connection, then we'd better have the discipline to review
these connections. That moves me to think that I just ought to design the
connection in the first place. Most of the repetitive, basic connections are
fairly standardized already (AISC single plate shear connections and AISC
double angle connections). The judge in the Hyatt case told Mr. Gillum that
he could delegate tasks, but he could not delegate responsibility."

Frank Hartzell
frank.hartzell(--nospam--at)jacobs.com

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/