Re: EOR(Kansas City Hyatt Walkway Failure)

Subject: Re: EOR(Kansas City Hyatt Walkway Failure)

<jimmycccccc(--nospam--at)email.msn.com>  wrote:

> I see the "pivotal event" being when the EOR designed the hanger rods to
an
> excessive length not readily available on the market, this being some 64
> feet as I recall.  I would call this, "impossibility of design"
particularly
> when it came to field erection.>>>>

Yes, full length rods were not readily available.
Yes, the original design had constructability issues

but it WAS serviceable & safe.....average (or below average) engineering.

I guess we could debate the "real" cause(s) of this disaster for a long
time.....

Who is more culpable...the guy who sets up the situation for a design change
request, the guy who requests the change or the guy who makes the change in
haste w/o adequate review?

I would have to agree with Chris Wright.....<a pivotal event--the design
change from
independent support of both walkways to supporting one walkway from another>

Prior to the design change everyone was still alive....inconvenience is
minor compared to death....that's a REAL problem.

Too bad the original designer was not an avid reader of the McMaster-Carr
industrial supply catalog.... a box full of coupling nuts would have made
everyone happy  :)

regards
Bob Kazanjy, PE