RE: EOR (Kansas city Hyatt Walkkway)

And in fairness, I'm not the greatest communicator.

What I'm trying to say is that you are responsible for your design,
including the communication of it to the builders in a manner they can
comprehend. Hopefully easily and certainly without ambiguity or error.

While I have given up on other methods, and now provide my own shop
drawings, I did so only after trying a lot of alternatives. As I said
before, there certainly are other ways of communicating your design to
others. I would like to hear of the successes. However, my experience with
the process which the Hyatt project used is almost entirely negative. As I
understand the trial record, the "EOR" wasn't even hired initially to
review the shop drawings. Only later was he paid as an extra to do so.
Further, the contractor was charged with developing the details, and freely
shopped (no pun intended) them around to the lowest bidder.

Now, perhaps the rest of you might generate a clear design from this
project organization, but it is certainly beyond my meager skills. With
really good, compatible people in all offices, you might muddle through
reasonably well. However, in an adversarial situation, which this project
apparently turned into, I feel you're almost totally doomed to failure from
the start. If someone asked me whether they soul even get involved with
such a situation, I would suggest you walk away. Someone is taking away
your authority over the design while leaving you with the responsibility.
You let this happen at your peril.

My final point was that being part of a large machine is no excuse for not
communicating your design properly. In my experience everyone (owner,
architect, public, courts) expects you to do this. If you don't, they will
look through all the organizational "problems" as irrelevant. For what it's
worth, I agree. We owe it to everyone to make sure we communicate designs.

Now....whether they build them well is another topic entirely, and I'll
stay out of that one.

Peter Higgins, SE