Virus Question

James Fulton wrote:

>>For this recent virus, do I correctly understand from the discussion that
by merely opening up the email (not its attachments) that the virus is
contracted ? If so, this is new to me. Thanks.<<

Yes.  In fact, any e-mail reader that is set display (read) javash*t and HTML
would be susceptible.

In fact, you don't even need to receive an e-mail to be susceptible to what
javash*t can do.  About a year ago, I did a web search on "javascript" and
came upon a web site (I can't remember the web site, so don't ask me) that
had a demonstration of how susceptible computers are to js.  With your
permission, they were able to tell you what OS you were using, and display
your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files on your screen.  And, mind you, this
was using a DOS browser with no Windoze on the machine.

>From what someone posted about the KAK virus, it will become active February
1st.  So, if your e-mail program is set to read HTML, and you have js
enabled, and you don't have virus security, and you read the message (first
one from Turkey [.tr] and the second one from Greece [.gr]), you have 2 days
to clean your machine(s).  :-(

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona