Concrete Cover

Does section 7.7.1 of the ACI code apply to shrinkage and temperature
reinforcement?

I have a "frost wall slab" which occurs outside every exterior door that I
don't consider structural in nature. These are typically 5' x 5' and poured
on 6" of compacted crushed stone. We have been detailing them as 8" thick
with #4 bars at 12" on center E.W. I would like to reduce this thickness to
4" with the same rebar but as I read the code, 5 1/2" is the minimum.

Thanks for the help.
Randy Diviney
Structural Engineering Dept.
Hayes Large Architects