Stainless Steel

I'm designing the connections and base fixity for a fountain structure composed of stainless steel & glass. I had a couple of questions that perhaps someone could help me with.

Q1: What thicknesses of plate are readily available for stainless steel? A range from gage metal to some thickness would be good. to know

Q2: AWS D1.1 says that the governing code for Stainless Steel is AWS D1.6 which I don't have available. I have a simple question as to whether or not it is permissable to weld stainless to A36 plate without having to perform any special preheats and the like.

Thanks in advance.
-Gerard

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer

Middlebrook + Louie, Structural Engineers
71 Stevenson Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94105
Tel: 415.546.4900
Fax: 415.974.3680