From: John Riley [mailto:jpriley485(--nospam--at)peoplepc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 9:19 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Yesterday's Comments

Gee, seems like a good thread for everyone to add a line or two and pass on
. . .
John P. Riley
------------------------
    As a young engineer, I often find my self in a situation where the
owner, developer, or the contractor responds with some of the following:
    "We built things this way thirty years ago, why are your designs so much
heavier?"
    "I've never seen designs like this in all my life."
    "This 8" retaining wall has worked for thirty years and you want to
replace it with a 12" wall."
    Does any one have a good tactful and polite answer?
Mitchell J. Sklar, PE
-----------------------
Comment 1:  "We built things this way thirty years ago, why are your designs
so much heavier?"
Gerard Madden:
Wood:  "We'll all the old strong trees are gone and we're left with much
weaker wood."
Concrete and Steel:  "My designs follow the current code provisions which
have changed significantly in the last ten years alone."
John Riley:
All materials:  "The threat of litigation has sturdied things up a bit."
Concrete:  "Thirty years ago, when USD was finding a foothold, concrete
sections sometimes became very thin . . . thinner than they should have
been."

Comment 2:  "I've never seen designs like this in all my life."
Gerard Madden:  "What can I say, I'm an innovator or ... That's what they
said to all the pioneering engineers throughout history... thank you very
much!"

Comment 3:
"This 8" retaining wall has worked for thirty years and you want to replace
it with a 12" wall."
Gerard Madden:  "Soil conditions vary from site to site. 12" is the minimum
based on the site characteristics."
Gerard Madden:  I don't know how polite and tactful this one is, but my old
boss used to say it to contractors, "Tell ya what, when you get your stamp,
you can change it to what ever you want, have a nice day  <click>"  ...It
was very effective.