From: John Rose [mailto:jrose36(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2001 9:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Plywood & Mtl. Studs

Hi Dennis and others:

1997 UBC Chapter 22  shear wall values for wood structural panels and gypsum
wallboard attached to steel wall framing are based on monotonic (wind only)
and
cyclic (seismic) testing conducted by Prof. Reynaud Serrette/Santa Clara
Univ.
Dept. of CE and others, and sponsored by AISI.  These tests were subsequent
monotonic tests conducted by APA, so reflect later data, but construction
configurations are limited.

More recent cyclic load shear wall testing of wood structural panels with
steel
wall framing  has been sponsored by City of LA and others, and conducted by
Uof
CA - Irvine. Tests have been completed but I am not sure of the status of
analysis and reports, and intended code adoption by City of LA. Maybe Bob
Kazanjy/UCI could advise?

John Rose/APA (retired)