-----Original Message-----
From: Mitchell J. Sklar, MBA, P.E. [mailto:mitchsklar(--nospam--at)alumni.psu.edu]

As a young engineer, I often find my self in a situation where the owner,
developer, or the contractor responds with some of the following:

"We built things this way thirty years ago, why are your designs so much
heavier?"
"I've never seen designs like this in all my life."
"This 8" retaining wall has worked for thirty years and you want to replace
it with a 12" wall."