From: Robert Rollo [mailto:rrollo(--nospam--at)TEAM-PSC.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 9:29 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Standard Specifications

anyone out there have a set of company masters ?  wait, that's a loaded
question.  let me refine my question:

suppose we adopt one of the biggies (specsintact, masterspec, etc) as our
"prototype".  note that i am talking across the board (civil, arch, struct,
EIM, controls, etc). i say prototype because we fully intend to revise them
considerably WRT quality control measures and intend to include many systems
not in the sections provided by these outside suppliers.

the real issue is:  we take a prototype, add all of our stuff and proceed to
pat ourselves on the back for a job well done, then whamo, the suppliers
come out with revised sections that contain the lastest ASTM references,
etc.  how do we systematically keep our sections as up to date as possible
without committing huge personnel resources, or shall we just give up our
stance and use the masters provided by the vendors more closely to "as-is" ?

i've considered delegating sections to the most qualified individual and
make them responsible for annual?, biannual? update of their sections, etc.
but still see it as huge task and perhaps overkill.

am i being too visionary here or is anyone else playing this game too ?

thanks in advance

r o b e r t   d.   r o l l o

Parkhill, Smith & Cooper, Inc.

4222 85th st