Re: strong axis bending of a bar

Ken,

>From my "Structural Stability" text by Chen and Lui, I see that the critical moment capacity is;

Mcr=(PI)(SQRT(E*Iy*G*J)/L

Apply safety factors or load and resistance factors as appropriate.

HTH,

Curt La Count
Jacobs Engineering
Portland, OR

I think this is an easy one but I haven't found it yet.  I have written in my AISC 9th edition that the allowable bending stress of a plate bent about its strong axis is Fb = 10,000/ (Ld/(t cubed)) <.66Fy.  Anybody know where I got this?  Is it correct?  Is it in the AISC spec?  I know that .75Fy is good for the weak axis bending.  Thanks for your help.

Ken