Re: Internet Garbage

To anyone who is concerned about this kind of crap:

It is pretty easy to "pull the plug" at least on this particular spammer.

Simply set your email client to "show all headers", and find the ORIGINATION
POINT of the email in question. This is a tricky thing, since most spammers
"spoof" their email addresses to make you think they're from one place (e.g.
HOTMAIL.COM) but when you examine the header, it's actually from someplace else.

In Netscape Mail, you can reveal the entire header by going to VIEW | HEADERS |
ALL. In Outlook, double-click on a message subject to view the message in a
separate message window, then click VIEW | OPTIONS. The message header will
appear in a window at the bottom of that dialogue, and may be copied and pasted
into a reply message. It is important when you want to forward an offending
message to someone who needs to take action, to include ALL the header data, so
that they can track down the culprit who is abusing their system.

Now, you need to forward the COMPLETE email message (including the headers) back
to the ABUSE address for the originating source. Usually, this is
ABUSE@<SOURCE.XXX>. For example, if the origin of the email message turns out to
be PSI.NET, you would forward it to ABUSE(--nospam--at)PSI.NET.

Spam usually comes from a big ISP, since they handle mail in volumes, and
Spammers use Bulk Mailers. The ABUSE is usually an automated service at the ISP
that will reply to you with an incident number and usually, not long afterward,
the message that the offending account has been disabled.

The Spammer can then just go elsewhere and start over, but it IS a big hassle
for them, and sometimes it is a few days before they discover their stupid
bulk-mailing program isn't pumping their **** out to every mailbox on earth
anymore.

And if you hassle 'em enough, some might actually QUIT.

I can tell you this: I have done this faithfully for some time now, and I just
don't get much SPAM anymore (maybe one or two a week). I think this is in part
due to the technology having gotten to them, and maybe in part because they know
I'll turn 'em in.

NEVER reply to a Spam. Those stupid "REMOVE" addresses they put at the bottom of
the message is just to get you to reply so they know they've hit a valid email
account (they spend a LOT of time pruning out bad addresses).

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE:

Here's the header for one that I got some time back (and somehow forgot to
delete).

[QUOTE MODE ON]