For the last 30 years

    Its nothing to do with your being young.  Even after thirty years of
practice, you'll have to fend off these people.  I think it is one of
the prime reasons they make you work for 5 years (7 here) before they
give you a license.
    My last boss was totally out of tune with computers and checked my
drawings only against his gut feelings or back of the envelope
calculations based on ACI 71 and UBC 79.  But I learned how to respond
to the architects, contractors and clients who thought they knew what
they were talking about. To senior engineers:  Always protect your young
ones from meetings.

Syed A Masroor PhD PE
Consulting Structural Engineer
Karachi, Pakistan