Re: FAQ on earthquake resistant construction - your technical comments invited

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Quoting bhagavan : > Hello Seaint members, > > As an Indian, affected by the latest devastating earthquake, I would > like to bring awareness about \"earthquake resistant construction\" to our > fellow Indians in particular and also to the citizens of other > countries. In this context, I have prepared a small session of > \'Frequently asked questions & answers\'. May I request our learned > colleagues to suggest me the improvements / corrections / comments on > this FAQ, if any. > > Thanking you, in anticipation of your constructive comments > > BHAGAVAN > > > > EARTHQUAKE RESISTANT CONSTRUCTION (ERC) > > It is a session of FAQ on ERC > > > * Is it possible to predict earthquakes? > No! > > * Is it Possible to prevent earthquakes? > No! > > * Are earthquakes destructive and devastating? > Yes! Because they destroy infrastructure. Hence, they are devastating. > > * Do earthquakes kill people? > No - not directly! > > * But, how people are killed during earthquakes? > Collapse of building structures in which they live, during the > earthquake kills people. Hence, the real culprits are our construction > practices and poor quality of construction. The conventional buildings > instantly collapse without any warnings, during the unpredictable and > sudden earthquakes. > > * Is it possible to build totally earthquake proof building structure? > -It is not feasible and economical to design and construct totally > earthquake proof building structures, particularly to withstand very > severe earthquakes of magnitude above 8.0 (Richter Scale) > - But it is very much possible to design and construct earthquake > resistant building structures, though they may suffer huge damage for > severe earthquakes, which will not kill people > > *What is the best building construction practice to resist earthquakes? > Shear wall concept! > > * What is shear wall concept in building construction practice? > In this concept the walls are not only designed to resist gravity / > vertical loads (due to its self weight and other living / moving loads), > but they are also designed for lateral loads of earthquakes / cyclones. > The walls are structurally integrated with roofs / floors (diaphragms) > and other lateral walls running across at right angles. > > * How is it structurally superior to the conventional construction > practices of load bearing masonry structures and / or Reinforced Cement > Concrete (RCC) framed structure(of concrete beams, columns and slabs)? > - The load bearing masonry is very brittle material. Due to different > kinds of stresses such as shear, tension, torsion, etc., caused by the > earthquakes, the conventional unreinforced masonry collapses instantly > during the unpredictable and sudden earthquakes! > - The RCC framed structures are slender, when compared to shear wall > concept of box like three-dimensional structures. Though it is possible > to design the earthquake resistant RCC frame, it requires extraordinary > skills at design and construction levels, which can not be anticipated > in all constructions projects! > - On the other hand even moderately designed shear wall structures are > comparatively ductile. In safety terms it means that, during earthquakes > they will not suddenly collapse causing death of people. They give > enough indicative warnings such as widening structural cracks, yielding > rods, etc., offering most precious moments for people to run out off > structures, before they totally collapse. > > > Vaseline Lipguard Keep Smiling
This mail is sent through http://www.sify.com