Re: Yesterday's Comments

>Or they leave, thinking, "damned engineers are overdesigning, again ..."
If contractors are anything like project managers or weld shop foremen,
most  don't really know overdesign from over-the-rainbow. For such
people, overdesigned means any inconvenient feature or specification. I
can't very well tell a customer or owner, 'Seismic [fatigue, fracture,
impact, corrosion, etc.] resistance causes me too much trouble so I'm
leaving it out.' About the only thing left is  'Not my fault, blame the
engineer for ...um... overdesign! Yeah, that's right, it's overdesigned!'
(Of course this doesn't apply to any contractors project managers or weld
shop foremen who are subscribed to this list ;->)

OTOH, it's also fair to say that I listen very carefully when one of the
laity tells me something is underdesigned, but that doesn't happen much
with weld shop foremen or project managers, except when they're poking
through wreckage. Actually, I don't really know what overdesign
means--too much design or too little? Maybe that's your response to
accusations of 'overdesign.' You ask the guy to explain what exactly is
overdesigned and how. The dumb ones will hang themselves by saying
something dumb. And people who know what they're talking about may give
you a good idea for next time.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw