Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Texican code

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Welcome to Texas!  PE licensing here has always been a particularly slow process.  This is because the emphasis has always been on profession experience, and especially on design experience.  I was licensed back in 1976.  At that time, the PE exam was optional and they actually sent me a letter recommending that I skip it.  All they cared about was how I had spent each and every hour since graduation in 1970.  You are correct about the documentation.  My SER ran at least 13 typed pages, accounting for my experience week by week.  Also, they want to read "I did", not "I participated in" or "I was involved in".  When Texas finally made the PE Exam mandatory several years later, they kept their traditional emphasis on experience.  A smart decision, in my opinion. 
Eventually, I discovered that I could not get a PE in any other state by reciprocity, since I had not taken the PE Exam when I obtained my Texas PE license.  Thus, I took the PE Exam in April, 1989, exactly 20 years after taking the EIT Exam.  It was no big deal, but I would not recommend that others wait this long!
The requirement for Firm Registration is less than a year old, and they are just beginning to enforce it.  As a "gatekeeping" process, the rules are much less restrictive than many other states.  The annual cost is only $75.  Nevertheless, all firms must now be registered if they have any projects in Texas or are seeking any work here.
One warning:  After you work here for a while, you might very well conclude that this is a much better place than wherever you are now (this is a common phenomenon).  Once you move to Dallas, you can anticipate that I will pester you relentlessly to join SEAoT!
Best regards,
Stan Caldwell, P.E. (in 6 states)
Naturalized Texican in Dallas
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 10:17 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: Texican code

Thank you Stan. We are in the process of obtaining TX licensing in anticipation of a TX project. We have a long term client with projects thru-out the U.S. and they are requiring our services in Dallas. I must say, TX license application requires a bit more detail than other states including detailed descriptions of past projects. They have an exceptional web site for the application process, you can even fill out the forms on line.
Thank you for your response and your concern for the welfare of our office.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 11:48 AM
Subject: RE: Texican code

In Dallas, we use the UBC.  Most of Texas is UBC, except for the Gulf Coast, which is SBC.  Richardson is a suburb just north of Dallas.  It became the first US city to adopt IBC-2000 last year.
I hope that you are already a licensed Texas PE, and that your firm has a Certification of Authority here.  Without both in hand, it is illegal under Texas law to even solicit work, much less do any.
Best regards,
Stan Caldwell in Dallas

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark D. Baker [mailto:shake4bake(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 11:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Texican code

This is for all you Texicans, what code is used in Dallas for commercial structures? UBC, IBC, BOCA....