From: Jeff Creagan [mailto:jeffc(--nospam--at)kpff.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 5:37 PM
To: SEAOC Listserver
Subject: Fasteners in Fire Resistant Treated Wood (FRTW)

I'm working on a project where the contractor has submitted a substitution
request to use common nails in FRTW; our General Structural Notes require
corrosion- resistant fasteners.  The chemical company literature indicates
their product is non-corrosive to carbon steel, they back it up with a
single research study performed at Mississippi State.  However, the National
Evaluation Report indicates that corrosion-resistant fasteners are required
(the chemical company maintains this is a boilerplate requirement placed in
all FRTW reports but is not appropriate for their product).  The product is
D-Blaze, the chemical company is CSI; I'm interested in any experience
others have had with this product?  Many thanks in advance.

Jeff Creagan, S.E.
KPFF Consulting Engineers
1201 Third Avenue - Suite 900
Seattle, WA  98101

Ph: (206) 622-5822
Direct: (206) 926-0455
Cell: (206) 852-5588
Fax: (206) 622-8130
e-mail: jeffc(--nospam--at)kpff.com <mailto:jeffc(--nospam--at)kpff.com>