From: Gerard Madden [mailto:GMadden(--nospam--at)mplusl.com]
Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 12:50 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Drift per 1997 UBC

Does anyone know why the drift check requires you to use the minimum base
shear for buildings in Zone 4? What I'm talking about is UBC 1630.10.3
Limitations where it states that the limitations of equation (30-6) may be
disregarded when checking drift. No mention is made of equation (30-7) which
is the zone 4 minumum. There was no distinction in the 1994UBC based on
zone.

This can greatly impact design for buildings with periods greater than 3
seconds in zone 4.

Any comments are appreciated.

-Gerard

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer

Middlebrook + Louie, Structural Engineers
71 Stevenson Street, Suite 2100
San Francisco, CA 94105
Tel: 415.546.4900
Fax: 415.974.3680