   From: <spandle(--nospam--at)icbo.org>
   Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 3:02 PM
   Subject: Story Drift Limitation from Gerald B. Neville

    Dear Mr Hicks:

    This is further "clarification" on the 1997 Uniform Building Code
    limitations on the calculation of story drift. . .Section 1630.10.

    In a letter dated May 20, 1998, I indicated that both Formula (30-6)
    and (30-7) may be disregarded in the calculation of story drift.
    Subsequent to that "editorial Correction", we had the Seismology
    Committee of the Structural Engineers Association of California
    review the issue.  SEAOC expressed the opinion that only Formula (30-6)
    may be disregarded. . .as currently indicated in code Section 1630.10.3.
    They indicated that Formula (30-7) is a realistic lower limit that only
    applies to tall structures in Seismic Zone 4. Considering the drift
    sensitivity of the taller structures located in regions of very high
    EQ ground motion effects, drift calculations based a minimum design
    lateral force is appropriate.

    It is noteworthy that both lower bound design lateral force equations
    apply for the drift calculations in the 2000 International Building
    Code...neither may be disregarded!

    Gerald B. Neville
    Senior Staff Engineer
    Education Services, ICBO

Since IBC 2000 also says that it is not to be ignored, I would be surprised
if ICBO changed their position again and said that for the UBC it can be
ignored. (Note that except for taller buildings it is not likely to control
anyway.)

Allen Adams, S.E.
RAM International

________