RE: Loose Bolts with DTI Washers

	1) Other than improper installation/tightening of the bolts, are
there
	any other reasons or explanations as to why the nuts would be loose
ten
	years later?

	Since the bolts are initially tensioned beyond the service loads,
improper initial tensioning is the most likely cause.

	2) What is the history of DTI washers?  How reliable are they?  What
is
	the likelihood that the washers are defective?  What tests or
methods
	are employed to determine if a washer is defective?  What are the
	pitfalls of using these washers?

	DTI washers were invented in the early 1960's and have been commonly
used for at least 20 years in one  form or another.  The tests are made with
a Skidmore with bolts.  Check out Turner's web site at
http://www.jmtdti.com/.  The pitfalls are proper special inspection.  Most
inspectors don't know they are still supposed to verify tension with a
Skidmore.

	3) Is it possible that the bolts can be fully tensioned and yet the
	bumps on the DTI washers not be flattened as specified?

	It is not very likely, but anything is possible.

	4) On connections that are tight, but the DTI washer  is not
properly
	compressed, are there tests that can be performed to determine if
the
	bolt is adequately tensioned, after ten years?

	You could use a Biach or other hydraulic tensioner, and jack until
the tension is off the washer.   It would not be totally accurate, but it
would give you an idea.  Talk to the people at Turner, they are much more
knowledgeable than me.

	5) What tests or methods can be employed to determine if the loose
bolts
	were ever tensioned?

	The hydraulic tensioner is about all that I know of.

	6) Any thoughts on re-tightening the loose bolts.

	Tighten them with new DTI's, and provide verification with special
inspection and a Skidmore.  You can also use a hydraulic tensioner to verify
the tension, but for special inspection, the Skidmore is the accepted
methodology.  Re-tensioning bolts is the engineers call.  If you were using
turn-of-the-nut, I would advise using all new bolts, but re-tensioning of
existing bolts should be no problem for DTI's.  The problem is with
inelastic thread deformation for A325 bolts that have been tensioned.

Regards,
	Harold O. Sprague