RE: Drift per 1997 UBC

Gerard

I certainly did not mean to imply any impropriety by John Hooper. I know
john  Hooper and have a lot of respect for him. The reason I referred to him
is that his name had come up before regarding this issue. My personal
opinion is that he is may be pursuing this issue a bit too aggressively. But
that is certainly his prerogative.

John currently serves on the IBC structural committee, however, at the time
of 96 ICBO hearings for the 97 UBC, he was not a member of the ICBO code
committee, although I think he played an active role representing the
Washington SEA. I was on the committee in 96 and I can not recall this issue
being discussed with any specificity. However, of the last 6 to 7 hearings
that I have either sat on the committee or observed the process, I can not
recall any one more chaotic than that year.

The SEAOC seismology was determined to get the new provisions in the 97 UBC
since it was the last year of the code cycle and if they didn't, the next
opportunity would have been year 2000. Therefore, there were many caucuses
going to wee hours at night, and many revisions before or during the
meetings to reach consensus for the entire package to go through. It does
not surprise me if an item like this didn't get the proper attention that it
deserved.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA