RE: Drift per 1997 UBC

Wonderful response, Mike. Before I criticize, let me acknowledge my
tremendous respect for those - especially Ben Youseffi - who have
participated in this discussion. Mike Valley explained the frustration of
practicing engineers better than anyone has in a long time. The bottom line
is that this is absolutely unacceptable and is tearing apart the
professional community by creating incentives for practicing professionals
to design to previous standards which they understand much better.

Two years after the adoption of the code is no time to find that there are
different interpretations leading engineers in private practice to feel as
though they have been designing incorrectly for nearly two years.  While I
do not mean to criticize the few engineers who have offered their time to
discuss these issues on the List, I am very frustrated that there is nothing
conclusive coming from either the Seismology Committee, SEAOC or ICBO in a
timely fashion to clearly explain the rational of these equations.

I thank Martin Johnson for participating, but I am also disturbed by his
comment:" The errata has issued by ICBO , apparently after ICBO reviewed
their notes of some agreements that were made during the code hearings.
Since I wasn't there I cannot comment." Martin, if you can't comment who
will and who should or are we simply to waste time hunting for the
information or drawing our own interpretation. Mind reading was never my
strong point.

It's time to step out of the shadows and establish a standard of practice
that will clearly define the intent of the code and to track the methods
roots so that engineers can interpret the rationality of the code so as to
understand the practical application of the code writer.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE