Re: Min. Steel in columns

See Section 10.8.4, ACI 318, quoted below:
"For a compression member with a cross section larger
than required by considerations of loading, it shall
be permitted to base the minimum reinforcement and
strength on a reduced effective area Ag not less than
one-half of the total area. This provision shall not
apply in reagions of high seismic risk".

Rajendran
Willbros Engineers Inc.
Tulsa, OK