From: Dan Goodrich [mailto:dang(--nospam--at)karren.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 8:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Perform A Chain Drag Study?

When you drag a chain over a parking deck, and listen very close,
you can sometimes tell where a concrete topping layer has delaminated
from the supporting structure. It takes a lot of practice.  The sound of the
chain will vary as you drag it over the hollow spots.  I have seen this
happen with a  4 in. topping over a double tee parking garage.  We used it to
identify areas that should be repaired before putting a traffic membrane
down over the deck.  Up here in snow country, these parking structures
go to pot real quick, unless some kind of protective membrane is
placed over them.  I'm guessing that this what they are asking about.

Dan Goodrich, P.E.