RE: Juno News Article

Tell us who you work for so we can dump your stock.

-----Original Message-----
From: KRALIK Georg -NUCLEAR
[mailto:georg.kralik(--nospam--at)ontariopowergeneration.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 4:44 AM
To: '73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com'
Cc: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Re: Juno News Article

Roger . . .

It does sound fantastic, but . . .

It is not as farfetched as it appears.  I know of one organization that does
this already with thousands of home computers.  I believe that NASA has a
network of private/home based micro-computers doing some number crunching
for them of deep-space radio signals.  Check with your local planetarium,
and ask the curator about "Project SETI".  This project has been in
existence for at least two years.  You receive a free copy of the software
from NASA, which works as a screen saver on your computer.  In a background
operation, it scans a data file for specific signal patterns.  Once scanning
is finished it returns the results via the InterNET, and receives a new data
file to process.  Maybe someone who knows more about "Project SETI" can
provide some other insights on this subject.

Now to get back to the subject of this newsgroup . . . I wonder if someone
can come up with some Finite Element Analysis shareware/freeware that could
utilize the power of InterNET networked microcomputers in a similar fashion
to Project SETI or Juno . . . Hint . . . Hint . . . Hint . . .

Sorry for this.  But my company, specifically the Information Technology
Department, does not think that engineers need any design or analysis
software to do their job.  Go figure - an engineering company which is not
allowed (by ISG/IT staff) to use engineering software.  By the way, our IT
staff are very paranoid about any software which is outside their "standard"
issued configuration.  Under these rules, for example AutoCAD is not
permitted for general use.  You need approval signatures all the way up to
the Chairman of the Board, and only then they may allow you to use AutoCAD
LT.  That's why I am always looking for engineering shareware/freeware,
specifically simple structural (R.C., etc.) software, such as ultimate
bending capacity of a single/double reinforced concrete member.  Just a
thought . . .

		3                                Message:0003
3