Re: Complexity of Code

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] There have been some initial attempts made within the last NEHRP provisions update cycle to try to implement some simplification applicable to buildings of three stories or less in height, which was drafted as an Appendix. This draft Appendix made it partially through the adoption process, gaining the Provisions Update Committee's approval for balloting by the general BSSC member organizations, but was then withdrawn after a number of objections where raised, i.e., it did not achieve consensus. The objections raised were quite varied (for example, not simplified enough, discomfort with the procedure not resulting in exactly the same force level, misunderstandings as to the rationale for deleting certain irregularity procedures when the layout of the structure conformed to prescriptive restrictions to avoid such issues, objections to the simplification of determination of site factors). It is my understanding that the BSSC's NEHRP PUC is now inclined to try to implement more direct and simplified language in the editorial process, while keeping the requirements established by the individual technical committees the same. This would then require subsequent IBC adoption, and so forth, before it eventually arrives at the practice level. This of course assumes that your state or jurisdiction eventually agrees to adopt the IBC in the future.

Gary Chock