RE: Drift limitation

Martin,
I think my question was more rhetorical as I recognized your contribution
and those of the others who have participated. However, my point was that it
has taken two years to either discover the confusion or to rectify it in the
professional community.
While we have discussed this and you have been, most certainly, as helpful
as Ben has been in the issues, less than 2% of the professional community
obtains their information from the SEAINT List. What provisions are brought
forth to clearly define the intent of the code to the rest of the community.

As one suggestion, how about answering the questions and giving clear
direction in each monthly newsletter from each chapter and on the Web
services. While I can't expect SEA to extend their reach to non-members, it
would be in the best interest of the entire profession to create an on-going
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions list that chooses issues such as this or the
Rho discussion from Gary Searer) and makes an attempt to bring the issues to
the professional community.

What is gained is a growth of faith that there is a renewed link between
code writers and practioneers who have felt left out in the cold by the lack
of formal and clearly defined direction on issues such as this.

Martin, you have made progress, since leaving the Chair position of the
Seismology Committee, to respond to the members on the List and I commend
you for this. However, it is important to have a formal response on
interpretations of the code so that there is no incorrect way to design.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE