Re: Complexity of Code

Lynn,
Thanks for posting this letter.  I think that it addresses a very
critical issue.
Being a very young engineer, I should have a high regard for all things
that can
be modelled with a computer.  My previous boss, however, taught me the
many
errors that can be "hidden" from designers by using a computer model.

The formulas in the new code are made to be optimal for computer
programming,
but are so full of greek letters that subscripts are needed on both the
greek and
english alphabet.  I am just waiting for a factor such as Phi subscript
Theta.
Presumably, modern computers are far better able to understand ancient
greek than
they can understand english.

In my current designs I am often questioned about the acceptability of
hand calculations.
However, my old friend M=wl^2/8 and PL/4, coupled with Stress=force/area
have
helped me in all but a few cases.  I have never gotten the relative
magnitudes of reactions
wrong, nor have I undersized beam/span ratios.  I am not saying that I
have not made
mistakes, but instead, that the mistakes I made were easily visible, and
obvious from
the calculations.

Currently, I am doing a lot of inter-company peer review, and I am
finding that the various
greek letters are doing a wonderful job of disguising many mundane
mistakes, to the point
where the designers become so engrossed with either the minor factors or
the computer
model, that they lose sight of far greater issues.

I would definately prefer to see all current graduates not being taught
modelling, rather,
being taught simple statics and structural analysis.  Over 98% ( OK, i
never actually
measured this number) of my designs have been done with a calculater,
sketch pad,
and a set of tables.

It is unfortuante that codes complicate issues overmuch, and that these
complications
can be easily glossed over in a computer; it is also unfortunate that I
have rambled on
for so long.

Thanks,
Craig Slama, PEng