RE: Transitions at welded splices

Charlie,

I'm not sure if you misunderstood my question or if I misunderstand your
answer.

The real point of my question is whether a transition is required for:
1. Beam to column web moment connections (LRFD Vol.2 Fig. 10-25(a), pg
10-61).  The flange plates at the column are generally intentionally made
thicker than the beam flanges to account for flange tilt and over/under run
of depth.  Is a transition required in this case?  It seems as if note 3 at
the bottom of page 10-65 addresses this.
2. Beam to girder moment connection (LRFD Vol.2 Fig. 10-28(a), pg 10-66).
Where a beam is welded "through" a girder (generally for a cantilever
condition), the girder size is usually heavier than the beam size (and the
girder flange thicker than the beam flange).  Is a transition required in
this case?

Are the above items in some different classification from a beam splice?  If
so why?  I agree that the wording is quite clear for the case of a welded
beam moment splice in that a transition is required when the stress exceeds
1/3 of the allowable.

Thanks for your opinions,
William Pulyer
Charlotte, NC