Re: Shape Factors and AISC ASD

Keep in mind that the shape factor is indepentent of the relationship
between Fy and Fu.  That is to say that the shape factor DOES not depend
on what type of steel is being used.

The difference between Mp and My is that My is the moment at which the
extreme fibers of the section begin to yield while Mp is the moment at
which the entire cross section has yielded (i.e. a plastic hinge has
formed).  This is all a function of the members cross section.

Therefore, the type of steel should not change the "allowable stress" for
a WF bent about the weak axis.  Think about it.  When you bend a WF about
its strong axis, there is more "stuff" (ie the entire flange) closer to
the extreme fiber of the section, which means that more of the section
will yield faster.  Thus, the difference between My and Mp is small, which
leads to the smaller shape factor.  Now bend the same member about the
weak axis.  There is less "stuff" (ie the tip of the flanges) closer to
the extreme fiber of the section, which means that it takes longer for a
significant part of the section to yield.  Thus, the difference between My
and Mp is greater, which leads to the larger shape factor.

Hope that helps,

Scott