Re: Shape Factors and AISC ASD

The LRFD Specification handles the elastic plastic behavior of ductile
steel beams flexure a little differently.  The plastic moment strength,
which is a function of Z-sub-y, is limited by some factor times the elastic
moment strength, a function of S-sub-y.  In other words, the flexural limit
state DIRECTLY considers both the elastic and plastic section properties.

As far as the ASD Specification is concerned, the shape factor concept
(0.66 times F-sub-y for compact strong-axis and 0.75 times F-sub-y for
compact weak) INDIRECTLY considers both the elastic and plastic section
properties.

In your example your steel has a special requirement for 70 ksi yield.
What is the specified ultimate strength?  If your F-sub-u is not at least
90 ksi, I would be concerned that the ASD approach adequately addresses
your situation.

Also, make sure that you have a compact section at 70 ksi.  If you have a
noncompact section bent about the weak-axis, ASD Section F2.2 will limit
your allowable bending stress to 0.60 times F-sub-y.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

Stanley_P_Johnson(--nospam--at)dot.ca.gov on 02/07/2001 09:30:25 AM