Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 2:40 AM
Subject: COMMENTS REQUESTED: MIN. Requirements to "Certify" An Existing Building Structure

I have been asked by a client to give a "certification letter" for three
buildings that they are in the process of finalizing to purchase.

Two of them are 50,000 s.f., three storey buildings, steel frame with steel deck
on steel joists. One has an EFIS cladding and the other, brick, built in the
late 70s or early eighties.

The third is a 150,000 s.f., six story building, built ca. 1973 as a hospital.
It is a concrete frame building with cast-in-place concrete joist floors, and
clad in brick. This building has been unoccupied (but maintained) for the last
eighteen months.

The hospital building does have "as-built" drawings that I can examine, and my
cursory, three-hour tour of that building supports a conclusion that the
structure seems to be as represented on the drawings. There are no drawings
available for the two smaller buildings.

At this point, the client simply wants a letter from me stating that there are
no overt reasons not to proceed with finalizing the purchase. Since the deal is
essentially a "steal" for the purchaser, that has some bearing on such a
decision.

What I'm thinking to do is give them a letter, with my seal, but containing
multiple disclaimers and caveats, stating that the "verification" of structural
soundness is based on a cursory review, and recommending strongly that a full
structural inspection be done before proceeding to convert the buildings to
other use.

Now, on the one hand, I have little problem stating, off the record, that these
buildings are "okay". They were built not so very long ago, during a time when a
building official was in residence in that particular locality, and I have
sealed as-built drawings for the major structure.

On the other hand, what am I really "selling" here? What are the rules in a case
where such a transfer of property is concerned? There is no bank financing
involved (yes, the deal is THAT good for the purchaser), simply cash exchanging
hands. So any such requirements that would normally be stipulated by a financer
are not applicable.

These buildings "look" to be in great shape, but no real inspection has ever
been done.

I am looking to pick up the job of doing the inspection at a later date, and so
would have no hesitation in making the recommendation contingent upon a
subsequent detailed inspection.

I'd like some comments from some of you, particularly those who have done this
sort of thing before. As for myself, I've never done anything like this before
without full inspection beforehand, but the scope of the work was quite
different.

Thanks in advance for any light you ***
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org