From: Pat Clark [mailto:bcinc(--nospam--at)nanosecond.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2001 5:01 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: FEMA 350 and SMRF's

I have two questions regarding a SMRF and the new FEMA 350 guidelines. I am
designing a moment frame in a single family residential project, employing
an RBS (reduced beam section).

First, FEMA requires cyclic testing of RBS moment frame connections on all
SMRF's.  Does anyone know of any tests done on sections from W10 to W18? I
know that these sizes are considered small for frames, but often in
residential construction I now find myself designing moment frames. Am I
limited to OMRF's?

Second, I don't have the new FEMA 350 guidelines, and a plan checker has
insisted that it specifies only A572 Grade 50 steel for all moment frame
beam and column connections.  I design all of my steel frame connections
with an increase in yield strength to grade 50 to compensate for the
expected yield stresses for A36 steel, but still specify A36. Does someone
have this publication?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat Clark, P.E.