RE: More Drift Talk

We have had engineers tell us that stair systems must accommodate building
drift at the magnitude of 4 inches (in one case) per floor each direction.
The stair manufacturer then suffered the costly task of replacing
connections.  Our concern is that when a building drifts 4 inches any
direction, what happens to doors, windows, and all other components?  What
happens when you add this up over several stories?