RE: seismology committee

Harold,
I thank you and Scott for your comments. I hope you understand that I am not
trying to be obstinate or mean spirited - I am admittedly passionate as I am
sure are all of the volunteers that participate in the code creation.
You comments still lead one to believe that there are debatable issues in
the code and complexities that should be worked out of the code. Your
comments also substantiate, the growing complexity of the code creation
process as well as the weakening strength of SEAOC in the overall scheme of
code writing.
Through all of this, the majority of the practitioners (I'll accept your
ratio of practitioners to researchers although I don't agree when
considering SEAOC alone) outside the committee are having a difficult time
being heard, but most of all participating in relevant discussions at a time
when the technology is in place to all almost anyone who is willing to
participate the opportunity to do so. What stands in the way is the effort
of those within the committees to accept an additional tool that brings new
ideas into play.

Possibly, you examples also shed light on the old verbiage "too many cooks
spoil the pot". I don't believe that there is an argument that a more
simplified approach needs to be examined from a rational basis. The fact
remains that little if anything is being done to accomplish this.

Harold, while I greatly admire your contributions as well as Scott Maxwell,
Martin Johnson and others whom have participated, you still speak from a
position as one with the ability to physically participate while many of us
are geographically too far to make it feasible and others are at the mercy
of their employers who are not as considerate as some companies that support
their employees participation in SEA chapters.

How about the suggestion that even the path to draft information from NEHRP,
FEMA, ASCE, SEAOC, BSSC and all organizations who are presently
participating in code creation be localized so that practitioners and
researchers who are on the outside can review and comment. Finally, this
does little good if the comments end up in a circular file as did the many
which were finally give to me (see my other post on this subject) months
after they were submitted for consideration by the Seismology Committee.

One of those who submitted information and supporting documents obviously
spent a great deal of time on his ideas, suggestions and proposals with
regard to the new code. It is true that SEAOSC who received the package, was
under no obligation to adopt any of his changes, but the sad fact was that
they did not open his envelope or even pass on his comments until the
package was given to me, a few months after he wrote them. By then it was
simply too late.

Each member who participates, if only to feel as though the are represented
by a professional organization rather than at the mercy, deserves the
courtesy of a short response that recognizes his or her contribution. This
was not done. I might add that the envelope contained support for the
Seismology committee as well as opposition. In this case, the members were
simply shut out of the process and this is inherently wrong.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE