Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: HSS Producers/Fabricators in Detroit Metro Area

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Thanks, those will do the trick.  The fabricator list will be of the most
benefit I think.  We're not going to be using a large quantity of it, but we
were looking for some rather large sizes, which of course are less commonly
stocked/produced.  Our intent was to use the largest sizes locally available
in the rectangular configuration.  

Thanks again,

Brian J. Zatloukal

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Scott Maxwell [SMTP:smaxwell(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Thursday, February 08, 2001 4:17 PM
> To:	'seaint(--nospam--at)'
> Subject:	Re: HSS Producers/Fabricators in Detroit Metro Area
> Brian:
> If you want to contact a fabricator, then the your list of choices is
> rather long.  I (or a company that I work for) have work with the
> following:
> Ross Structural Steel (Detroit) 313-893-7877
> MBM Fabricators (Romulus) 313-941-0100
> Ferguson Steel (Port Huron) 810-985-5178
> Douglas Steel Frabricating (Lansing) 517-322-2050
> Dumas Concepts in Building (Northville) 248-380-8480
> Ideal Steel & Builder's Supplies (Detroit) 313-842-7290
> Johnson Steel Fabricators (Sanford) 517-687-7100
> If you are looking for a tube supplier in Detroit, then I am not familiar
> with any.  I did find one in the CAM Buyer's Guide (more on CAM below).
> The info that I found is:
> Spartan Tube & Steel (Livonia) 734-522-1700
> They were the only company listed under the "Tubing - Structural Steel"
> catergory.  I went to their web page briefly and it implied that they are
> limited to 20x12 rect. HSS, 16 dia round HSS, and 18x18 square HSS.  But I
> would suggest you contact them.
> You can do a more complete search yourself if you wish.  Go to the
> Construction Association of Michigan's web page ( and
> search through their Buyer's Guide.  It lists contractors/suppliers,
> professional engineers, professional surveyors, architects, and landscape
> architects.
> With regard to which manual to use for the section properties, it would be
> wise to use the HSS Manual.  It contains the "correct" section properties.
> And I suppose I should slap myself for using the word "tube" or "tubes".
> They are all "HSS" now.
> Hope that helps,
> Scott
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Zatloukal, Brian J. wrote:
> > All,
> > 
> > I working on a project at a local industrial facility that is going to
> > require the use of HSS, hopefully in some rather large sections.  Does
> > anyone have any contacts (suppliers/fabricators) in the area whom I can
> > contact to see what is currently available?  (Scott Maxwell, you may
> have
> > the best shot at this one)  Also, I remember a discussion recently
> > concerning the correctness of the published properties for HSS in the
> > various AISC design manuals.  I recall that those given in the ASD (9th
> ed.)
> > and LRFD (2nd ed.) were incorrect.  Are the properties given in the HSS
> > Connections Manual (black manual) the correct ones for design?
> > 
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> > 
> > Brian Zatloukal, E.I.T.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > 
> >