general bolt questions

We typically use 3/4" diameter bolts for beam to column and
beam to beam connections, but are considering going to 1"
diameter bolts.  What is the typical industry standard?
We have also noticed an inconsistency within the AISC LRFD
manual (2nd addition) for the top and bottom minimum edge
distance for bolts at a shear tab.  Table J3.4 requires for 1"
diameter bolt, 1-3/4" edge distance for a sheared tab while
figure 9-15 of Vol 2 (the connections manual) shows an allowable
1-1/2" edge distance.  How is this typically resolved?

Mark Pemberton, P.E.
Lionakis Beaumont Design Group