RE: SEAOC Seismology Committee Reply

I also appreciate the additional explanation provided by SEAOC
Seismology.

It is clear that consideration of near-field effects drove the
development of 1997 UBC Equation 30-7, 2000 IBC Equation 16-38, and
2000 NEHRP Provisions (Third Ballot Composite) Equation 5.4.1.1-4.

I would suggest that the various code writers generally had the
following definitions of "near field" in mind during code work.
  1997 UBC: Sites with Nv greater than 1.0
  2000 IBC and 2000 NEHRP: Seismic Design Category E or F (S1>0.75g)

In the 2000 NEHRP Provisions the "near-field" equation applies to
structures in Seismic Design Categories E and F; this indicates
consistency between intent and application.  It is not clear to me why
the application of the "near-field" equation is not strictly tied to
the "near-field" condition in the UBC and IBC.  In the 1997 UBC, the
"near-field" equation applies not only to "near-field" conditions but
also to vast areas of Seismic Zone 4 that are not "near-field."  In
the 2000 IBC, the "near-field" equation applies to structures in
Seismic Design Categories E and F AND (as an afterthought and
departure from the NEHRP Provisions) to structures where S1 is greater
than or equal to 0.6g.

As indicated in the SEAOC Seismology Committee Reply, although there
are concerns about tall structures subjected to near-field pulses, the
equations in question were not crafted with that issue in mind.  Again
I suggest:

Let's decide what we've learned; carefully consider, craft, and
coordinate modern provisions; and thus improve the quality, coherence,
and useability of our codes.

Michael Valley, P.E., S.E.                   E-mail: mtv(--nospam--at)skilling.com
Skilling Ward Magnusson Barkshire Inc.              Tel:(206)292-1200
1301 Fifth Ave, #3200,  Seattle  WA 98101-2699      Fax:        -1201