RE: Frank Lloyd House Gets Seismic Upgrade

Dear coleagues,
From you, I see that these sort of things are happening everywhere. Till now,
I was thinking, it was only in my country where we, the structural engineers,
are 'unknown soldiers', never being refered nor even mentioned, in the credits of
out-standing building works. But I think mostly, this is up to us, engineers,
( and our associations! ) to foster and guard the proper public display of our career
and achievements.
Regards,
Raul Labbé
Senior Unknown Soldier

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Structuralist <dennis.wish(--nospam--at)gte.net>
Para: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Fecha: Jueves, 08 de Febrero de 2001 03:19 p.m.
Asunto: RE: Frank Lloyd House Gets Seismic Upgrade

Neil and Ephraim:
"We just can't get no respect".  Three years ago I remodeled a home in the Palm Springs area. This required tearing down the existing house, leaving a few walls are recreating a new roof (curved Glu-Lam and portions that contained Moorish ceilings). The project was almost all engineering. The home was originally owned by Zeppo Marx's (one of the five brothers) and his wife who later married Frank Sinatra.  The engineering required that the roof appear to float, but all lateral elements be in place. In other words it was a creative piece of work and when it was through I was tremendously pleased with the work I did.
There is no question that the interior designers work made this home a showcase and that the builders ability to do such nice finish work was worthy of recognition. Two weeks ago, the general contractor, who has hired me to do more work for them, presented me with the Winter 2000 edition of California Homes (one year later) where the home was featured. The article mentioned the Interior designer, the Unlicensed designer who prepared the basic architectural features and the builder - all of whom where invited to the open house when the project was completed. Nowhere in the article was the engineer of record mentioned.
I guess I am used to this and I am still excited to see the project that I designed showcased in this magazine but I felt disappointed that the public does not know enough about the magic that engineers design into creative architecture that makes it a reality. It is disappointing.

Regards,
Dennis S. Wish, PE