Re: More Drift Talk

Chris
The story drift according to 97UBC is calculated based on the amplified seismic
lateral load and the amplification factor is 0.7R. This, for an ordinary steel
braced frame will become approximately equal to 4, meaning that seismic lateral
loads will be enhanced by a factor of about 4 when calculating story drifts. The
drift limits on the other hand have been increased by a factor of about 5 in
this code, and therefore the final result is not as bad as you thought.
Mehdi Khabbazan
PhD, CEng