Re: Properties of natural rubber

Arturo,

Rubbers are a class  of materials that serves a great deal of engineering
needs in fields
dealing with shock, noise and vibration control, sealing, corrosion
protection, friction production,
waterproofing, thermal insulation, etc.
ASTM D 1418 - Rubber and rubber Lattices describes all available rubbers
in terms of their chemical
compositions.  Additional data is available per ASTM D 2000/SAE J200
type, class.

Below please find some data with regards to the Physical and Mechanical
properties for natural rubber and
neoprene:

Natural rubber:
Density (gm/cucm) = .93
Hardness range (Shore A) = 30-100
Tensile Strength (max. psi) = 4,500

Neoprene:
Density(gm/cucm) = 1.24
Hardness range(Shore A) = 40-95
Tensile Strength(max. psi) = 4,000

Please note that Neoprenes do not have the low-temperature flexibility of
natural rubber, which detracts from
their use in shock or impact applications.

Hope this helps.

Desi J. Kiss, M.S., P.E.

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:12 +0000 amartine(--nospam--at)udep.edu.pe writes:
> Anyone in this list could please give a hand with this?
> I´d like to know the Modulus of Elasticity and poisson ratio for
> different types of natural rubber and/or neoprene.
> Any hint will be welcome.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Arturo Martinez
> Piura, Peru