Beetle Overboard!

A group of Canadian engineering students is taking responsibility for
dangling a Volkswagen Bug off the Golden Gate Bridge this morning -- causing
a huge commuter tie-up, halting ship traffic under the span and infuriating
authorities, who say they will prosecute.

In press releases faxed to San Francisco news media, engineering students
from the University of British Columbia said they committed the stunt to
"draw attention to the masterful feats of professional engineers and to
celebrate the skills of the tradespeople who built the bridges."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2001/02/05/MN
60371.DTL

I have long been an advocate of structural engineers actively promoting
their wonderful profession, but I never envisioned a prank like this!

Stan Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas